The scholarships are towards a doctoral degree (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD).
The scholarships can be undertaken at Canadian Universities. Students wishing to apply for a Vanier CGS should verify that the university to which they are applying for doctoral studies has a Vanier CGS allocation.
Field(s) of study:
Any academic field of study
Number of Scholarships:
Both Canadian and international students are eligible to be nominated for a Vanier CGS.
The scholarships is worth $50,000 per year for three years.
To be considered for a Vanier CGS, you must:
• be nominated by only one Canadian university, which must have received a Vanier CGS allocation;
• be seeking financial support to pursue your first doctoral degree (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD);
• intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD) studies and research at the nominating university;
• have completed no more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2014;
• have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your university, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent; and
• not have already received a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, SSHRC or NSERC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD).
Students must be nominated by an eligible Canadian university. You cannot be considered for the scholarship unless you have been nominated by a Canadian University.
Each Canadian university has an internal deadline date for students to submit their applications. The Canadian university should be contacted for this information. All nominations from Canadian universities must be submitted and received by the federal research granting agencies by the 6 November 2013 (8:00 p.m. Eastern Time).